Chemmeen Theeyal (Prawns Theeyal)
- Shelled & deveined Prawns / Shrimp (ചെമ്മീന് വൃത്തിയാക്കിയത്) – 200 gm
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) – 2 Cups
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 20 Nos
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 5 Cloves
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1 Inch piece
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 2 Sprigs
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) – 3 Tea spoon
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) – 2 Tea spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch
- Tamarind (പുളി) – Gooseberry (നെല്ലിക്ക) sized ball
- Tomato (തക്കാളി) – 1 No
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 2 Table Spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Wash the prawns and keep aside.
- Chop ginger, garlic, shallots and tomato.
- Heat 1 table spoon of coconut oil in cooking pan and put grated coconut, ginger, garlic, half of the chopped shallots and curry leaves (1 sprig). Stir continuously in a medium flame.
- When it becomes golden brown, turn the flame to low. Put chilli and coriander powders into it and stir well for 2 minutes. Remove from the flame and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted coconut in a mixer grinder into a fine paste. (Do not add water initially).
- Dissolve tamarind in 2½ cup of water. Remove the seeds and any pieces that have not dissolved with the water.
- Cook prawns (about 10 minutes) in a covered vessel along with tamarind dissolved water, tomato, turmeric powder and salt. (When it starts boiling, turn the flame to low).
- When it is done, add the ground paste and combine it well. Taste for salt. Boil it for 1 minute and remove from the flame.
- Heat 1 table spoon of coconut oil in a cooking pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, to this add remaining shallots and curry leaves (1 sprig). Saute till golden brown. Add this to the prepared prawns theeyal.
- Chemmeen theeyal is ready for serving. Transfer to the serving dish.
2) You can also cook prawns in microwave oven (step 7).
3) If you don’t have tamarind, use kukum star (kudam puli) or raw mango as an alternative. But I recommend to use tamarind for this chemmeen theeyal.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.