Fish Molly (Fish Molee)
- Fish steaks (medium sized pieces) – ½ kg
- Cinnamon (കറുവാപ്പട്ട) – 2 Pieces (1 inch each)
- Clove (ഗ്രാമ്പു) – 6 Nos
- Cardamom (ഏലക്കാ) – 3 Nos
- Peppercorn (കുരുമുളക്) – 2 Tea spoons
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) – ½ Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞൾപൊടി) – ¼ + ¼ Tea spoon
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 4 Nos
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1 Inch Piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 5 Cloves
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 10 Nos
- Onion (സവോള) – 1 No
- Tomatoes (തക്കാളി) – 1 No (Small Size)
- Thin coconut milk (കട്ടികുറഞ്ഞ തേങ്ങ പാല്) – 1½ Cup
- Thick coconut milk (കട്ടികൂടിയ തേങ്ങ പാല്) – ½ Cup
- Lime Juice (നാരങ്ങനീര്) – ½ + ½ Table spoon
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 4 Table Spoons
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Crush the peppercorns.
- Marinate the chosen fish pieces with lime juice (½ table spoon), turmeric powder (¼ tea spoon), half of the crushed pepper and required salt for a minimum of 15 minutes.
- Fine-chop green chillies, garlic, ginger and shallots. Slice the onion and the tomatoes. Crush the cardamom.
- Heat 3 table spoons of coconut oil in a cooking pan. Shallow fry the marinated fish pieces by turning both sides for 2 minutes each side (half cook). Keep it aside.
- To the same cooking pan along with the oil left after frying the fish, add one more table spoon of coconut oil. When the oil is hot, add cinnamon, clove and cardamom. Stir it for a few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the chopped garlic, ginger and green chilly. Sauté it for a few seconds and then add sliced shallots and onions. Continue sautéing by adding a little salt.
- When the onions turn golden brown, reduce the heat to low. Add coriander powder (½ table spoon) and turmeric powder (¼ tea spoon), stir it for a few seconds.
- Pour 1½ cup of thin coconut milk and allow it to boil by stirring occasionally.
- When it starts boiling, add the fried fish pieces and curry leaves (1 sprig). Reduce the heat to medium when it starts boiling. Stir occasionally by rotating the pan (Do not stir using the spoon or ladle as the cooked fish might break). Cook it covered in medium flame.
- When the fish molly is cooked completely, add sliced tomatoes, ½ table spoon of lemon juice and the remaining crushed peppercorns. After a minute, add ½ cup of thick coconut milk and stir by rotating the pan. Remove from the heat when the curry starts boiling.
- Transfer the fish molee into a serving dish.
2) As tomatoes and coconut milk are being added in fish molly recipe, it does not stay edible for a long time; so you will have to eat and finish the curry on the very same day you cooked it.
3) You can use pepper powder instead of crushed pepper. However, I strongly recommend using freshly crushed black pepper for better taste and colour.
4) Enjoy the fish molly (fish molee) with appam, puttu, bread, pathiri, idiyappam, rice, chappathi, paratha, etc.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.