- Kadala/ Chickpeas (കടല) – 1 Cup
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 6 Nos
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1 Inch piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 5 Cloves
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) – 1 Cup
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) – 2 Table Spoon
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) – ½ Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch
- Garam Masala (ഗരം മസാല) – ½ Tea spoon
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 3 Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Dry red chillies (വറ്റല്മുളക്) – 2 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 4 Cups
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Soak kadala (chickpeas) in water for minimum 8 hours and drain it.
- Pressure cook kadala by adding 4 cup of water and salt. When you hear the first whistle, reduce the flame to medium and wait for 3 more whistles. Turn off the fire and wait till the pressure settles. (Do not drain it)
- Chop shallots, ginger and garlic and keep aside.
- Heat 1 table spoon of coconut oil in a pan and put garlic, shallots, ginger and grated coconut one by one. Stir it until the coconuts turns brown. Add garam masala, coriander, chilli and turmeric powders into it. Stir it for 2 more minutes. Remove from the flame and let it cool.
- Grind the roasted coconut using a mixer grinder without adding water.
- Add the ground mix to the cooked kadala and let it boil. Taste for salt.
- Heat 2 table spoon of coconut oil in a pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, put broken dry red chillies and curry leaves into it and saute it. Add this to the prepared kadala curry and transfer to the serving dish.
2) Adjust the spices according to your taste.
3) If you don’t have garam masala you can use vegetable masala or meat masala or chicken masala as an alternate.
4) Tomato (1 No) can be added for sour taste.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.