Kerala Chicken Curry
Kerala Chicken Curry
- Chicken – 1 kg
- Kashmiri Chilli powder (കാശ്മീരി മുളകുപൊടി) – 1 Table spoon
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) – 2 Table spoon
- Chicken masala (ചിക്കന് മസാല) – 1 Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch
- Peppercorns (കുരുമുളക്) – 1 Tea spoon
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 2 Pieces (1 inch each)
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 6 Cloves
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 2 Nos
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 8 Nos
- Onion (സവോള) – 3 Nos
- Tomato (തക്കാളി) – 1 No
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 3 Sprigs
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 4 Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – 1 Tea spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – as needed
- Coconut milk (തേങ്ങ പാല്) – ¾ cup (optional)
- Cut the chicken into medium pieces, clean it well and keep aside.
- Heat kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, chicken masala and turmeric powder in a frying pan on a low flame.
- Grind this roasted mix with peppercorns, ginger (1 inch piece), garlic (3 cloves), green chilli, curry leaves (2 sprigs), salt (1 tea spoon) and a little water into a paste.
- Marinate chicken with the ground paste and keep aside for minimum 30 minutes.
- Crush the ginger (1 inch piece) and garlic (3 cloves). Chop onion and slice shallot & tomato.
- Heat 3 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan (preferably non-stick), put crushed garlic & ginger, then finely chopped onion and saute till brown. Add salt to taste.
- To this add marinated chicken pieces and sliced tomato. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and cook it covered till done. (reduce the flame to medium when it starts boiling).
- Add coconut milk (optional) and remove from the flame.
- Heat 1 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, to this add shallots and curry leaves (1 sprig). Saute till brown. Add this to the prepared chicken.
- Kerala chicken curry is ready for serving. Serve hot.
2) Adjust the spices according to your taste.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.