- Raw rice (പച്ചരി) – 1 Cup
- All purpose flour (മൈദ) – ¼ Cup
- Crushed Jaggery (ശര്ക്കര പൊടിച്ചത്) – ½ Cup
- Ripe banana (പഴം / Palayamkodan) – 1 No
- Cardamom powder (ഏലക്ക പൊടിച്ചത്) – ¼ Tea spoon
- Dry ginger powder (ചുക്ക് പൊടിച്ചത്) – 1 Tea spoon (optional)
- Black sesame seeds (എള്ള്) – 1 Tea Spoon (optional)
- Thinly sliced coconut (തേങ്ങാക്കൊത്ത്) – 2 Table spoon (optional)
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) – 2 Table spoons
- Cooking oil (എണ്ണ) – For deep frying
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – 1 Pinch
- Wash and soak the rice in 3 cups of water for a minimum of 5 hours. (It is better to soak the rice overnight, ground it in the morning and prepare Neyyappam in the evening)
- Crush the jaggery and make syrup by boiling it with ½ cup water. Remove impurities by straining the syrup. Leave it aside and allow it to cool completely.
- Heat 1 table spoon of ghee in a pan. Put thinly sliced coconut and fry until it turns golden brown. Keep aside and let it cool completely.
- Drain the rice well and grind it by adding the jaggery syrup using a mixer grinder. (Do not add water)
- Peel the banana and mash it into a fine paste using a mixer grinder.
- Now prepare the batter for neyyappam. In a large mixing bowl, combine together the ground mix, all purpose flour, mashed banana, cardamom powder, dry ginger powder (optional), sesame seeds (optional), fried coconut bits (optional), ghee, and salt to form a semi thick batter (to the consistency of Idli batter). Add few table spoons of water if required.
- Keep the neyyappam batter for minimum 4-5 hours in a warm place for fermentation.
- Heat enough cooking oil in a deep bottom pan (preferably non-stick) for deep frying. When the oil is heated sufficiently, reduce the heat to medium.
- Drop a ladle full of batter into the hot oil. Deep fry the neyyappam by turning both sides until it turns golden brown in colour. Drain the excess oil onto paper towels.
- Repeat the previous step to make more neyyappams.
2) If you want to speed up the fermentation process and more fluffiness, add ¼ tea spoon of baking soda to the batter.
3) Each time you take the batter from the bowl to prepare neyyappam, stir it well.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.