Pathiri (Ari Pathiri)
Pathiri / Rice Pathiri / Ari Pathiri
- Fine roasted rice flour (നന്നായി പൊടിച്ച് വറുത്ത അരിപ്പൊടി) – 4 Cups
- More rice flour for dusting and rolling – ½ Cup
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 4 Cups
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) – 1 Table spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Boil 4 cups of water in a sauce pan adding ghee and salt.
- When it boils, reduce the flame, add fine roasted rice flour and mix it evenly with a spoon.
- Remove from the flame and keep it covered for 2 to 3 minutes.
- When the dough is still warm, knead it well with your hand till it is soft and smooth. (if it is too hot try dipping your hand in cold water while kneading). Add more water or rice flour, depending on the absorbency of the rice flour.
- Make lemon sized balls from the kneaded dough.
- Roll the balls like chappathi/poori to get thin round shape using chappathi roller/press by spreading rice flour over it.
- If required, cut it into perfect round shape using some cutter or lid of a steel tiffin box. The remaining parts can be used to make another one.
- Heat a flat non stick pan on medium flame, place the pathiri on it and wait for a few seconds and turn it to the other side. This time you wait for little more time and turn it again. Remove from the pan when it puffs up. Make sure that the pathiris are not getting brown. (do not use oil).
- Serve it with coconut milk and gravy type curry.
2) A perfect kneading is required for good pathiris.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.