- Finely chopped ginger (ഇഞ്ചി ചെറുതായി അരിഞ്ഞത് ) – 1 Cup
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 3 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Tamarind (പുളി) – Lemon sized ball
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) – ½ Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch
- Asafoetida powder (കായം) – 1 pinch
- Crushed Jaggery (ശര്ക്കര പൊടിച്ചത്) – 1½ Table spoon
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 2½ Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Chop ginger, green chillies and curry leaves finely.
- Dissolve tamarind in 1½ cup of warm water. Remove the seeds and any pieces that have not dissolved with the water.
- Heat 2½ table spoon of coconut oil in a pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, add finely chopped ginger, green chillies, curry leaves and a little salt. Sauté it in a medium heat until it turns golden brown.
- Reduce the heat, add chilli, turmeric and asafetida powders. Stir it for few seconds.
- Next, add tamarind dissolved water and salt. Stir continuously in a medium heat, until the gravy thickens.
- Proceed to add crushed jaggery, combine well and dissolve it.
- Remove from heat and let it cool. Transfer the puli inji to a dry container and serve only after 3 hours to avoid the bitterness.
2) Puli Inji can be refrigerated and store like pickles. Use only dry spoons, whenever you take it for serving.
3) Adjust the quantity of chillies and jaggery to suite your taste.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.