Squid Roast (Koonthal Roast)
Squid Roast (Koonthal Roast / Kanava Roast)
- Squid (കൂന്തല് / കണവ) Cleaned – ½ kg
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 2 Inch piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 10 Cloves
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 2 Nos
- Onion (സവോള) – 2 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Lemon Juice (നാരങ്ങനീര്) – ½ Table spoon
- Thinly sliced Coconut (തേങ്ങാക്കൊത്ത്) – ¼ Cup (Optional)
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) – 1 Table Spoon
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) – ¾ Table spoon
- Garam Masala (ഗരം മസാല) – 1 Tea spoon
- Pepper powder (കുരുമുളകുപൊടി) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Cooking oil (എണ്ണ) – 3 Table spoons
- Water (വെള്ളം) – ¾ Cup
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Wash and clean the Squid (Koonthal / Kanava) well. Cut it into small pieces and keep aside.
- Chop onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Heat 3 table spoon of cooking oil in a pan and put mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, reduce the flame to medium. Add thinly sliced coconut pieces and fry them for 2 minutes (optional).
- Add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies. Stir for a few seconds and then add chopped onion. Sauté the mixture by adding a little salt.
- When the ingredients turn golden brown, reduce the flame to low. Add coriander powder (1 table spoon), chilli powder (¾ table spoon), turmeric powder (1 pinch) and garam masala (1 tea spoon). Stir for a minute.
- Now, add ¾ cup of water, lemon juice and salt to taste. Turn the heat to high and mix well. Now, add the Squid (Koonthal / Kanava) pieces. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cook it covered till done (about 15 to 20 minutes). Don’t forget to give a stir in between.
- When it is done, open the lid and heat until the dish is almost dry (if there is excess water). Stir occasionally. Add ½ tea spoon of black pepper powder and mix well. Taste the dish for salt.
- Koonthal roast (Squid roast) is ready for serving. Transfer the Kanava roast to the serving dish. Garnish it with coriander leaves and onion slices (if required).
2) Garam masala can be replaced by meat masala or chicken masala.
3) Squid takes a little longer time to cook. So you can also pressure cook it by adding half the quantity of above mentioned powdered ingredients, ¼ cup of water and salt. Then follow the same steps mentioned above. (In step 5; add only the remaining portion of the powdered ingredients. In step 6, add the cooked squid along with the stock (water in which it is cooked). Cook the Squid roast for 5 minutes without adding extra water.)
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.