- Mung bean / Green gram (ചെറുപയര്) – 1½ Cup
- Crushed Jaggery (ശര്ക്കര പൊടിച്ചത്) – 1 Cup
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) – ¾ Cup
- All purpose flour (മൈദ) – 1¼ Cup
- Cardamom powder (ഏലക്ക പൊടിച്ചത്) – ½ Tea spoon
- Sugar (പഞ്ചസാര) – 1 Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch (optional)
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 1 + 1¼ Cups
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Cooking oil (എണ്ണ) – to deep fry
- Wash and soak mung bean in water for 4 hours and drain it.
- Pressure cook the soaked mung bean by adding 1¼ cup of water and a little salt. When you hear the first whistle, reduce the heat to low and wait for the second whistle. Turn of the heat and wait till the pressure settles.
- Open the pressure cooker when the pressure settles. If there is still extra water in the pot, put it on fire again and heat till the water evaporates.
- Crush the jaggery and make syrup by boiling it with ½ cup water. Remove impurities by straining the syrup.
- Heat the syrup again, put in grated coconut and cardamom powder. Cook for two minutes. Keep on stirring all the time.
- Next, add cooked mung beans, mix well to form a thick mixture and turn off the heat.
- Make ten balls from the mixture, using your hands. Keep them aside. (You can grease your hands with ghee/cooking oil if you find mixture too sticky.)
- Now prepare the batter for dipping Sukhiyan. Add one cup of water, sugar, turmeric (this is optional if you want to add yellow color to sugiyan), and a pinch of salt to all purpose flour and make a thick batter.
- Pour enough oil into a deep bottom pan and heat it. When the oil is heated sufficiently, reduce the flame to medium. Dip each ball into the batter and deep fry it, making sure that the Sukhiyan is completely cooked on all sides.
- Place the cooked Sugiyan on a paper towel to soak excess oil, transfer to a dish and serve.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.