Vattayappam / Steamed Rice Cake
- Fine rice flour (നന്നായി പൊടിച്ച അരിപ്പൊടി) – 4 Cups
- Warm water (ചെറു ചൂടുവെള്ളം) – ½ Cup
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 2 Cups
- Coconut milk (തേങ്ങ പാല്) – 1½ Cup
- Yeast (Active dry yeast) – ½ Tea spoon
- Sugar (പഞ്ചസാര) – ¾ Cup
- Cardamom (ഏലക്ക) – 5 Nos
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 1 Clove
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) – 2 Tea spoon
- Cashew nut (കശുവണ്ടി) -15 Nos
- Raisins (ഉണക്ക മുന്തിരി) – 20 Nos
- Cherry – 5 Nos (optional)
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Dissolve yeast in ½ cup of warm water (make sure that the water is not too hot) along with ½ table spoon of sugar and let sit for 30 minutes until it is frothy.
- Crush cardamom and garlic separately and keep aside.
- Mix 2 table spoon of rice flour with 2 cups of water and boil it for 5 minutes by stirring it. Keep aside and let it cool.
- Add this to the remaining rice flour along with yeast dissolved water, coconut milk, sugar, cardamom, garlic and salt. Mix it well in a mixer grinder. (The batter should be thick in consistency like idly batter)
- Keep it overnight (8 hours) in a warm place for fermentation.
- Spread evenly gee in a flat pan or an idli mould and pour the batter into it (fill up to half the pan).
- Garnish it with cashew nut, raisins and cherry (optional).
- Steam it (like idli) for 20 minutes in a medium heat. (close the lid only after the water starts boiling).
- When it is done, remove from the flame and let it cool. Cut the vattayappam into desired shapes and serve it with a cup of tea/coffee.
2) Fine rice flour is mandatory for vattayappam (You can use idiyappam or appam rice flour, but puttu rice flour is not ideal for this dish).
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.