- Roasted rice flour (വറുത്ത അരിപ്പൊടി) – 4 Cups
- Warm water (ചെറു ചൂടുവെള്ളം) – 1 Cup
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 2+1 Cup
- Yeast (Active dry yeast) – ½ Tea spoon
- Sugar (പഞ്ചസാര) – 2 Table spoon
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) – 2 Cups
- Salt – to taste
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water (make sure that the water is not too hot) along with sugar and let sit for 30 minutes until it is frothy.
- Mix 2 table spoon rice floor with 2 cups of water and boil for 4 minutes by stirring it. Keep aside and let it cool.
- Add this to the remaining rice floor along with yeast dissolved water, grated coconut and salt. Grind this well in a mixer grinder by adding 1 cup of water and make a smooth batter. (The batter should be thick in consistency like idly batter)
- Keep it overnight (8 hours) in a warm place for fermentation.
- Heat a flat non-stick pan on medium flame. Stir the batter and pour a ladle (thavi) full of batter to the pan and spread it lightly with the ladle (It should be almost double in thickness of a dosa). Cook it by turning both sides till it is slightly brown.
- Repeat the previous step to make more vellayappams.
2) Each time you take the batter from the vessel to prepare vellayappam, stir well.
3) As the batter quantity increases during fermentation, use a vessel which can hold almost double the quantity.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
Click here to download the free Android Application of this website.
ഈ വെബ്സൈറ്റിന്റെ സൗജന്യ ആന്ഡ്രോയ്ഡ് മൊബൈൽ ആപ്ലിക്കേഷന് ഡൗണ്ലോഡ് ചെയ്യുന്നതിന് ഇവിടെ ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.