Carrot & Semiya Payasam
Carrot and Semiya Payasam
- Ghee / Clarified Butter നെയ്യ് - 4 Tablespoons
- Cashew Nut കശുവണ്ടി - ¼ Cup (30 gm)
- Raisins ഉണക്കമുന്തിരി - 2 Tablespoons (20 gm)
- Finely Grated Carrot കാരറ്റ് - 2 Cups (200 gm)
- Sugar പഞ്ചസാര - ¾ Cup (150 gm)
- Milk പാൽ - 1.5 Ltr
- Semiya / Vermicelli സേമിയ - 1 Cup (100 gm)
- Cardamom Powder ഏലക്ക പൊടിച്ചത് - ½ Teaspoon
- Heat 3 tablespoon of Ghee in a pan and add ¼ cup of Cashews; mix well. Make sure that the flame is in a low level. When the Cashews turn golden brown, add 2 tablespoon of Raisins and stir well. When they also turn golden brown, turn off the flame and quickly shift the contents into another plate.
- Turn on the flame and keep it in a medium level. In the same pan, add 2 cups of finely grated Carrots. Stir continuously and cook the Carrots. When the Carrot is well cooked, add ¼ cup of Sugar and stir continuously. After stirring for around 1½ minutes, sugar will combine well. You may take some from this for garnishing at the end. Add ½ cup of Milk and stir. When it boils well, turn off the flame and keep it aside.
- Take a pan with minimum 3 litre capacity. Heat 1 tablespoon of Ghee in it. When the Ghee is hot, turn down the flame to medium level. Add 1 cup of Semiya (Vermicelli) into it. Stir continuously, as it tends to burn fast since we've added more Ghee to it. It will turn light golden colour on roasting for 1-2 minutes. At this stage, you should quickly add ½ cup less than 1½ litre of Milk. We've added that ½ cup of Milk while cooking Carrots. Stir continuously till the Vermicelli is 75% - 80% cooked. If not stirred, milk skin will be formed and also the bottom tends to burn. Till the Milk boils, the flame should be on a high flame; when it starts to boil, turn down the flame to a medium level. Required 75% - 80% cook will be attained by 4-7 minutes.
- Add ½ cup of Sugar and stir well. This much Sugar will be adequate for a medium level sweetness. You may adjust the sweetness according to your preference. After combining the Sugar, add in the Carrot mixture. Add ½ teaspoon of crushed Cardamom. Mix and combine well for 1 more minute. Now, add the fried Cashews and Raisins.
- Turn off the flame and let it set for atleast 20 minutes. By that time, with the heat in the pan, it will be perfectly cooked. Take care to add Sugar ONLY when Semiya is 75% - 80% cooked. Vermicelli won't cook properly if Sugar is added beforehand.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.