- Raw Plantain Raw banana / നേന്ത്രക്കായ് - 1 No
- Elephant foot yam ചേന - 100 gm
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 4 Nos
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞൾപൊടി - a generous pinch
- Pepper powder കുരുമുളകുപൊടി - ½ Tea Spoon
- Ghee നെയ്യ് - 1 Table spoon (optional)
- Grated coconut തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത് - 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds ജീരകം - ¾ Tea spoon
- Curd തൈര് - 3 Cup
- Coconut Oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 1 Table spoon
- Mustard seeds കടുക് - 1 Tea Spoon
- Fenugreek seeds ഉലുവ - ½ Tea Spoon
- Dry red chillies വറ്റൽമുളക് - 4 Nos
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 2 Sprigs
- Water വെള്ളം - 1 Cup
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – to taste
- Peel the skin of plantain and elephant foot yam. Cut it into thick cube pieces and set it aside. Slice the green chillies (length wise).
- Cook the plantain and yam cubes in a vessel by adding 1 cup of water, green chillies, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt on a low flame till it tender and dry (be careful not to overcook it and also take care to prevent it from burning). When it is done, add ghee into it.
- In the meantime, beat the curd without adding water.
- Make a smooth paste of grated coconut and cumin seeds. Add it into the cooked vegetables and simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour the curd into it and combine well. Add salt to taste. Simmer for another minute by stirring well all the time. (Remember to keep the flame at the minimum or lowest possible. Take care not to overheat it after adding the curd). Taste for salt and remove from the flame.
- Heat 1 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan, put mustard and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, to this add broken dry red chillies & curry leaves and saute it.
- Remove from the flame and wait for 2 minutes to bring down the temperature. Add this sauteed mix to the prepared kalan and combine it.
- Serve it as a side dish for rice.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
12 comments on “Kalan”
Hi Sreelatha, Thanks for taking time to post your feedback here. Great to know that the recipes came out well for you and all of you liked it. I will be posting more recipes in the near future. Thanks again for trying this recipes and posting your comments.
How are you, actually I didn’t cook kalan, because I don’t know how to prepare. But when I saw your recipe and I tried this. Its very nice and all credit goes to you thanks a lot and Take care.
Hi Kala, It is pleasure to know that you tried this recipe and it came out well for you. Thank you so much for your kind words of encouragement and also for taking time to share your feedback here. Hope to see you here often. Happy cooking 🙂
Thanks for the recipe. tried this recipe today and it came out really well. Can you post tenga chaar recipe.
Thanks once again.
You are welcome Vijai. Nice to know that the kalan recipe came out well for you. Sorry, I didn’t get tenga chaar, you mean Thrissur style manga curry prepared in coconut milk?
Thanks for the recipe and it came out really well. Good job. Thank u.
You are welcome Merlin. Great to know that the Kalan recipe worked out well for you. Thanks a lot for taking time to share your feedback.
First I want say thank to you thanks. Becoz this onam I want to celebrate with my friends with a best onam sandya. I search in online there I got lot of kerala recipes of yours. Its awesome. I am going to try some recipes. Hope it will be come out well. I will try my best. Again thanks for you.
You are welcome Nisha. I am really happy to know that you are going to celebrate this onam with my recipes. Wish you a happy onam in advance. Waiting for your feedback on “onam sadhya”. Happy cooking 🙂
Hi Shaan, I have a doubt. Do we need to beat curd until buttermilk? (water consistency)
Aathira, No need to beat the curd like butter milk, just beat it for few seconds.
Mr. Shaan, I m not a good cook, but i tried the following receipes Olan, Erissery, Ulli theeyal, Pulissery as per your recipes and it has come out well. Every one at home were surprised about my cooking and they all liked very much. Thanks a lot. Keep the good work going.