- Raw Plantain (Raw banana / നേന്ത്രക്കായ്) – 1 No
- Elephant foot yam (ചേന) – 100 gm
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 4 Nos
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞൾപൊടി) – a generous pinch
- Pepper powder (കുരുമുളകുപൊടി) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) – 1 Table spoon (optional)
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) – 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds (ജീരകം) – ¾ Tea spoon
- Curd (തൈര്) – 3 Cup
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 1 Table spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Fenugreek seeds (ഉലുവ) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Dry red chillies (വറ്റൽമുളക്) – 4 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 2 Sprigs
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 1 Cup
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Peel the skin of plantain and elephant foot yam. Cut it into thick cube pieces and set it aside. Slice the green chillies (length wise).
- Cook the plantain and yam cubes in a vessel by adding 1 cup of water, green chillies, turmeric powder, pepper powder and salt on a low flame till it tender and dry (be careful not to overcook it and also take care to prevent it from burning). When it is done, add ghee into it.
- In the meantime, beat the curd without adding water.
- Make a smooth paste of grated coconut and cumin seeds. Add it into the cooked vegetables and simmer for a few minutes.
- Pour the curd into it and combine well. Add salt to taste. Simmer for another minute by stirring well all the time. (Remember to keep the flame at the minimum or lowest possible. Take care not to overheat it after adding the curd). Taste for salt and remove from the flame.
- Heat 1 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan, put mustard and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, to this add broken dry red chillies & curry leaves and saute it.
- Remove from the flame and wait for 2 minutes to bring down the temperature. Add this sauteed mix to the prepared kalan and combine it.
- Serve it as a side dish for rice.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.