Kerala Fish Curry
Kerala Fish Curry / Meen Curry – without coconut
- Fish (any) – ½ kg
- Kashmiri Chilli powder (കാശ്മീരി മുളകുപൊടി) – 2 Table spoons
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) – ½ Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – 1 Pinch
- Brindleberry / Kukum star (കുടംപുളി) – 3 Pieces
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1 Inch Piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 6 Cloves
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 6 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Fenugreek seeds (ഉലുവ) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 2½ Table Spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Clean the fish and keep aside.
- Soak Brindleberry in 2 cup of hot water with little salt added in it.
- Chop shallot, ginger and garlic finely.
- Kashmiri chilli powder, normal chilli powder and turmeric powder should be made as a paste adding little water.
- Heat 2 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan (recommends open mouthed earthenware pot), put mustard and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, to this add finely chopped shallot, ginger & garlic and stir well.
- When it becomes golden brown, reduce the flame and put chilli and turmeric powder paste into it. Stir it well in a very low heat for few minutes (till the oil starts appearing).
- Add socked Brindleberry and water to the pan and allow to boil.
- When it boils put fish and add salt to taste.
- Reduce the flame and cook till done (it takes 10 to 15 minutes). When it is done add curry leaves and ½ table spoon coconut oil & remove from the flame after 1 minute.
- Kerala fish curry is ready. Let the curry remains in the cooking pan for a few hours, allowing all the spices to steep into the fish.
2) Remember to spoon the Brindleberry / Kukum star (Kudampuli) pieces out after few hours.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.