Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
Hot and Sour Chicken Soup
- Water വെള്ളം - 5 Cups (1250 ml)
- Onion സവോള - 1 No (Medium Size)
- Carrot ക്യാരറ്റ് - ½ of one
- Crushed Ginger ഇഞ്ചി ചതച്ചത് - 1 Inch Piece
- Crushed Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി ചതച്ചത് - 2 Cloves
- Chicken ചിക്കൻ - 200 gm
- Salt ഉപ്പ് - ½ + ½ Teaspoon
- Crushed Black Pepper കുരുമുളക് ചതച്ചത് - ½ + ½ Teaspoon
- Egg മുട്ട - 1 No
- Corn Flour ചോളം പൊടി - 2 Tablespoons
- Refined Oil എണ്ണ - 1 Tablespoon
- Finely Chopped Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി ചെറുതായി അരിഞ്ഞത് - 1 Tablespoon
- Spring Onion Bulb white part - 3 Tablespoons
- Carrot ക്യാരറ്റ് - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Cabbage ക്യാബജ് - ½ Cup (Chopped)
- Green Beans ബീൻസ് - 3 Tablespoons (Chopped)
- Soy Sauce സോയ സോസ് - 1 Tablespoon
- Red Chilli Sauce ചില്ലി സോസ് - 1 Tablespoon
- Vinegar വിനാഗിരി - 1 Teaspoon
- Sugar പഞ്ചസാര - ½ Teaspoon
- Spring Onion Greens green part - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Keep 5 cups of Water for boiling. Add 1 medium sized Onion (chopped), half of a medium sized Carrot (chopped), 1 inch long piece of Ginger (crushed), 2-3 cloves of Garlic (crushed) and 200 gm of Chicken (If you are using Boneless Chicken, 150 gm will be enough). Add ½ teaspoon of Salt and ½ teaspoon of Black Pepper Powder. Stir and combine them well. Close the lid and cook it for 20-25 minutes.
- When it starts to boil, set the flame to a medium level. Chicken will be well-cooked by 20 minutes. Strain out the Chicken and let it cool down. Then, strain the Chicken Stock. There will be about 4 cups of Chicken Stock here. Shred the Chicken pieces well and remove the bones, if any.
- Now, take an Egg and beat well. Keep it aside. Make a slurry by mixing 2 tablespoon of Cornflour and 4 tablespoon of Water. Cornflour slurry helps to thicken the Soup.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of any Refined Oil. When the Oil is hot, add 1 tablespoon of Garlic (finely chopped). Stir quickly for 5-10 seconds. Add 3 tablespoon of Spring Onion bulbs (chopped) i.e., the white portion at the bottom of Spring Onion. Add ¼ cup of Carrots (finely chopped/ julienne), ½ cup of Cabbage (julienne) and 3 tablespoon of Beans (chopped). Sauté them well for 1 minute on a high flame.
- Add the prepared Chicken Stock. Add 1 tablespoon of Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon of Chilli Sauce, 1 teaspoon of Vinegar. Add ½ teaspoon of Black Pepper Powder. Add ½ teaspoon of Sugar to balance the flavours. Stir and mix well; then add ½ teaspoon of Salt. The amount of Salt depends on the added Soy Sauce. So taste the Soup and adjust the Salt accordingly. Stir well and let it boil.
- When it starts to boil, add the shredded Chicken into it. Boil it for about 2 minutes. Gradually pour the beaten Egg and mix it well (Optional). Add the Cornflour slurry into it.
- When it starts to boil, add the green part of Spring Onion (chopped). Taste the mix and adjust the flavours accordingly and then, turn off the flame. The hot and sour chicken soup is ready. Serve it hot.
- We are using 5 cups of Water to make stock here, which will reduce to make 4 cups of Soup.
- Since it is a Chinese dish, the Vegetables need not be fully cooked. Sautéing on a high flame for sometime will be enough.
- You may choose the Vegetables according to your preference. Bell Pepper, Celery, Mushroom etc. can be used here.
- Dark Soy Sauce and Light Soy Sauce are available in the market. Colour is more for Dark Soy Sauce, where as flavour is more for Light Soy Sauce.
- The amount of Salt depends on the added Soy Sauce. The saltiness is different for different Soy Sauces. So taste the Soup and adjust the Salt accordingly.
- In the final stage, adjust the flavours according to your preference. If you need more heat, add Black Pepper Powder. For more tanginess, add a little bit of Vinegar to the hot and sour chicken soup. If needed, add a bit of Salt too.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.