- Rice preferably basmati rice - 2 Cup
- Chicken cleaned - ½ kg
- Onion സവോള - 2 Nos
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 3 Nos
- Coriander leaves മല്ലി ഇല - 4 Sprigs
- Curd / Yogurt തൈര് - 2 Table spoon
- Ginger-Garlic paste ഇഞ്ചി-വെളുത്തുള്ളി അരച്ചത് - 1 Table spoon
- Black pepper powder കുരുമുളകുപൊടി - ½ Table spoon
- Cinnamon കറുവാപ്പട്ട - 1 Inch piece
- Clove ഗ്രാമ്പു - 4 Nos
- Cardamom ഏലക്കാ - 3 Nos
- Coriander powder മല്ലിപ്പൊടി - 2 Tea spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി - 1 Pinch
- Garam Masala ഗരം മസാല - ¼ Tea spoon
- Cooking oil എണ്ണ - 2 Table spoon
- Water - 3½ Cup
- Salt - to taste
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces, clean it, drain off the water and keep aside.
- Ginger-garlic paste, pepper powder, curd and salt should be made as a paste.
- Marinate chicken pieces with this paste and keep aside for minimum 20 minutes.
- Wash rice, drain it and keep aside.
- Chop the onion and coriander leaves. Slit the green chillies length wise.
- Heat 2 table spoon of oil in a non-stick cooking vessel. Put cinnamon, cloves and green cardamoms. Stir it for 30 seconds.
- Put onion, green chilli and salt. Sauté it well.
- When the onions turns golden brown, reduce the heat and put coriander powder, turmeric powder and garam masala. Stir it for 1 minute.
- To this, add marinated chicken pieces and half of the chopped coriander leaves. Sauté on a medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Proceed to add rice and mix it well.
- Pour 3½ cup of water into it and combine well. Put salt to taste. Turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil.
- Now, reduce the heat and cook it covered about 15 minutes.
- Chicken pulao is ready. Turn off the heat and put remaining coriander leaves. Let it closed for another 10 minutes allowing all the spices to steep into it.
- Serve hot with salad/raita and enjoy the chicken pulao.
2) Cooking oil and be replaced by ghee or butter.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
24 comments on “Chicken Pulao”
Jiby, Thanks for the feedback.
Hai Shaan.. so happy to find and follow your site.. for last 2 hours I was going through your recipes. From across the miles I got aroma of Kerala cooking to California 🙂 .. I am the author of food blog “Lemon n spice” which i started in 2009. Soon I will try your khuboos recipe n will update the feed back in your site. 🙂
Lena, Thanks a lot for following this website and also for taking time to share your comments. I have seen your blog and it is wonderful. It is great that you are maintaining the blog very well for the last 4 year. Once again thanks for your kind words of encouragement, appreciate it very much 🙂
Hello Shaan, your recipes are really easy to follow. But now I am in Italy so find some difficulties to find all the ingredients. So I request you to add some recipes which are needed a few and common ingredients.Thank you.
Maria, Thanks for the visit and feedback. I will try to include more recipes having ingredients easily available. Hope to see you here often.
You are welcome Ruby.
Hi… your recipes so good, I know some recipes in Soudi Areabian. I am trying your chicken pulao… 🙂
Ruby, Thanks a lot for the feedback. Please share your experience 🙂
Awesome one… this turned out to be more tasty & easier to cook, compared to Biriyani… Thanks a lot..
You are welcome Sheetal, Thank you very much for the feedback.
Thanks for this recipe. It is much easier than chicken biriyani.. I used to make vagetable pulao, but I never tried chicken pulao, sure I’ll prepare this… Thanks once again.
You are welcome Mars. Hope you will share the feedback after trying this recipe. Thanks for the comment.
Hi your recipes good.
Thanks Bibin 🙂
For the first time I am going to prepare this chicken pulao.
Mala, Thanks for the comment. Hope the chicken pulao recipe will work out well for you.
Hi Sir, I cooked the recipe and it came out very well. I have gone through other recipes too and it is easy to follow even for a beginner. Keep posting recipes. Thank you.
Neethu, Thank you very much for the feedback. I will try to add more recipes when time permits. Hope to see you here often.
Hi Shaan, I have already tried your chicken biriyani and chicken curry. both came out well. For tomorrow Sunday I am going to try your chicken pulao. Your recipes are too easy to follow. Thank you so much.
Nisha, Glad to see the list of items you tried from here. Thank you very much for the feedback and also for your kind words of encouragement. Hope to see you here often. Happy cooking 🙂
Hello Shaan, Recipes you have posted looks yummy and I have tried the chicken biryani recipe. It came out so delicious. Shaan can you try posting step by step procedures, it would be more helpful. Thanks.
Shal, Thanks for trying the recipe and also for the feedback. Sorry I didn’t get what you mean by step by step procedure. You mean adding photos of each step?
Hi, it’s nice and comes out very tasty.