- Chicken (Cleaned) – ½ kg
- Potato (ഉരുളക്കിഴങ്ങ്) – 1 No (medium size)
- Cinnamon (കറുവാപ്പട്ട) – 3 Pieces (1 inch each)
- Clove (ഗ്രാമ്പു) – 6 Nos
- Cardamom (ഏലക്കാ) – 4 Nos
- Peppercorn (കുരുമുളക്) – 2 Tea spoon
- Cashew nut (കശുവണ്ടി) – 10 Nos (optional)
- Raisins (ഉണക്ക മുന്തിരി) – 10 Nos (optional)
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) – 1 Tea spoon
- Garam Masala (ഗരം മസാല) – ½ Tea spoon
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1 Inch Piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 5 Cloves
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 4 Nos
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 6 Nos
- Onion (സവോള) – 2 Nos (medium size)
- Thin coconut milk (കട്ടികുറഞ്ഞ തേങ്ങ പാല്) – 2 Cup
- Thick coconut milk (കട്ടികൂടിയ തേങ്ങ പാല്) – ¾ Cup
- Lemon Juice (നാരങ്ങനീര്) – ½ Table spoon
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 2 Sprigs
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 4 Table Spoons
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Cut chicken into small pieces, clean it well and keep aside.
- Fine chop ginger, garlic, onion, shallots and green chillies. Peel the potatoes and cut it into medium size cubes. Crush cardamom and peppercorns.
- Heat 3 table spoons of coconut oil in a cooking pan (preferably non-stick). Put cinnamon, clove and cardamom. Stir it for a few seconds.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add garlic, ginger and green chilly. Sauté it for a few seconds and then add finely chopped onions. Continue sautéing by adding a little salt.
- When the onions turn golden brown, reduce the heat to low flame. Add 1 tea spoon of coriander powder and ½ tea spoon of garam masala. Stir it for a few seconds.
- Add chicken pieces, potatoes, curry leaves (1 sprig) and ½ table spoon of lemon juice. Turn the heat to high and mix well. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Pour 2 cups of thin coconut milk and combine well. Cook it covered until done. (Reduce the heat to medium when it starts boiling. Give a stir in between.)
- When the chicken stew is cooked completely, add crushed peppercorns and combine it. Using a ladle, mash a few potato pieces so that the gravy becomes thicker. Now add ¾ cup of thick coconut milk and stir well. Remove from the heat when it starts boiling.
- Heat 1 table spoon of coconut oil in a cooking pan. Fry cashew nuts and raisins separately until golden brown and add to the chicken stew. To the same pan (in the remaining oil), put shallots and curry leaves (1 sprig). Sauté until shallots become golden brown. Add this to the prepared stew and mix well.
- Transfer the chicken stew into a serving dish and serve hot.
2) You can add vegetables such as beans, carrots and green peas to increase the nutritional value of this dish.
3) To avoid the raw odour of chicken, 1 table spoon of vinegar or lemon juice can be used when cleaning it.
4) Enjoy the chicken stew with appam, bread, idiyappam, rice, chappathi, paratha, etc.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.