Kerala Chicken Curry
Kerala Chicken Curry
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Kashmiri Chilli powder കാശ്മീരി മുളകുപൊടി - 1 Table spoon
- Coriander powder മല്ലിപ്പൊടി - 2 Table spoon
- Chicken masala ചിക്കന് മസാല - 1 Table spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി - 1 Pinch
- Peppercorns കുരുമുളക് - 1 Tea spoon
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 2 Pieces (1 inch each)
- Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി - 6 Cloves
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 2 Nos
- Shallot ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 8 Nos
- Onion സവോള - 3 Nos
- Tomato തക്കാളി - 1 No
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 3 Sprigs
- Coconut Oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 4 Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds കടുക് - 1 Tea spoon
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – as needed
- Coconut milk തേങ്ങ പാല് - ¾ cup (optional)
- Cut the chicken into medium pieces, clean it well and keep aside.
- Heat kashmiri chilli powder, coriander powder, chicken masala and turmeric powder in a frying pan on a low flame.
- Grind this roasted mix with peppercorns, ginger (1 inch piece), garlic (3 cloves), green chilli, curry leaves (2 sprigs), salt (1 tea spoon) and a little water into a paste.
- Marinate chicken with the ground paste and keep aside for minimum 30 minutes.
- Crush the ginger (1 inch piece) and garlic (3 cloves). Chop onion and slice shallot & tomato.
- Heat 3 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan (preferably non-stick), put crushed garlic & ginger, then finely chopped onion and saute till brown. Add salt to taste.
- To this add marinated chicken pieces and sliced tomato. Stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and cook it covered till done. (reduce the flame to medium when it starts boiling).
- Add coconut milk (optional) and remove from the flame.
- Heat 1 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, to this add shallots and curry leaves (1 sprig). Saute till brown. Add this to the prepared chicken.
- Kerala chicken curry is ready for serving. Serve hot.
2) Adjust the spices according to your taste.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
54 comments on “Kerala Chicken Curry”
Hi Jijin, Thanks for posting your comments. Coconut milk is optional for this preparation. You need not have to add extra water even if you are not adding coconut milk.
Today I made the chicken curry it was very tasty and easy. Now we have vacations here, and trying all this recipes. Thanks once again.
You are welcome Merlin, Thank you very much for the regular visit and also for the feedback. Hope you are enjoying you vocation. Happy cooking 🙂
Hey Shaan, Finally a mallu guy who loves to cook !!!! I do make chicken curry but never thought to marinate it before hand. thanks for the info.
You are welcome Siba. Happy cooking 🙂
Nice and tasty curry. My grand children very much liked. I add little cashew paste. It turn very nice. Thank you once again.
You are welcome. It is pleasure to know that you all liked this chicken curry. Thanks a lot for the tip and also for the feedback.
Hi, today I have tried this chicken curry with chapathi and idiyappam. Its yummy…… thanks for this simple and delicious dish… 🙂 🙂
Lincy, Thanks a lot for trying this recipe and also for the feedback. Nice to know that the chicken curry came out well for you. Hope you will try other recipes too.
chicken curry kollam.. ishtappettu..
Thanks KP 🙂
Can I may this dish without shallot?
Jacqueline, If you don’t want to add shallots you can avoid it.
Hi Shaan, Good work. Could not find chicken fry recipe in your portal. pls include.
Thanks Unnikrishnan. I will try to include chicken fry recipe as early as possible.
It was great… so tasty…
Thanks Suresh 🙂
Hi Shaan… Thanks friend… It comes good and very tasty…
Thanks Nandu 🙂
Hi Shaan, This was an awesome recipe. Thank u so much.
Thanks a lot Vandana 🙂
Nice recipe… oru thani nadan taste… thanks
Thanks Sachu 🙂
I have a question for the Kerala chicken what is the ingredient pepper is it the vegetable capsicum or cayenne pepper.
Raj Kumar, It is black pepper.
Simple and tasty thanks Shaan, as you said anybody can cook so easily.
Thanks a lot Syamlal 🙂
Hi guys, is it compulsory I marinate the chicken before hand? Secondly, I added creamy yoghurt and it tasted really nice.
Sophia, It is not mandatory to marinate the chicken. But it taste better if you marinate it. Thanks for the feedback and also for the tip.
Wow!! Just made this, it was amazing and very tasty. I added a small amount of fresh coriander and spinach leaves for colour. Best curry I’ve ever made!!
Forgot to rate my previous post 🙂
Thanks Marcus 🙂
Dear Marcus, Thank you very much for your words of appreciation, tips and also for the feedback.
Hi Shan, I tried almost all your recipes. All amazing and tasty. I am waiting for new recipes.
Sonia, I am really glad to know that you tried almost all the recipes listed here. Thank you very much. I will be posting more recipes soon.
Thank u. Super recipe ♥
Thanks Muhsinajerin 🙂
Very tasty recipe added some chicken stock, as I had boneless chicken and mushrooms, very good indeed this recipe is now part of my tried and trusted looking forward to visiting Kerala in April this year thanks for sharing this lovely recipe Shaan.
Richard, Thank you very much for such wonderful feedback. If you need any help feel free contact me during your Kerala Visit.
നിങ്ങള്ടെ റെസിപീ കൊള്ളാം. കുറെയെണ്ണം ട്രൈ ചെയ്തു. ഏറ്റവും ഇഷ്ടപ്പെട്ടത് ഇത് തന്നെ. ഇതുപോലെ ബീഫ് പോര്ക്ക് റെസിപീ ഉണ്ടെകില് ഷെയര് ചെയ്യൂ. 🙂
Rahul, Happy to know that you tried many recipes from this portal. I have already added few beef recipes and also will try to add more recipes. Thank you.
Thanx a ton for this awesome recipe. very, very tasty. the whole family loved it. Thanx again.
Jessin, Thanks a lot for your kind words of encouragement.
Machaaaaneeee polichu curry. My name is Radhesh am living in UAE with my wife. Am from Calicut. Anyway supertoooo.
Thank you Radhesh 🙂
Shaan, This recipe is awesome. Can I substitute Coconut Oil for Canola? Will it alter the taste by a huge margin?
S Kurian, I haven’t tried this recipe with Canola oil. I don’t think that there is a huge taste difference. Please share your feedback if you got a chance to try it.
Hi, May I know if the pepper is black pepper or is it black pepper powder. Thank you 🙂
Kalaai, It is black peppercorns.
GM GEO?… Sterday I prepared this chicken curry. It was superb Shaan… but I made a few with a kg of broiler…? I think I spelled it correct…? mom Said next time to go with our NAADAN KOZHI… ? BUT Let me say you… pappa plate vadichu ??? your great chef… coz of ur TASTY CIRCLE… ALREADY BOOKMARKED??… I’m asking mom daily… shall I do something special… THANK U ONCE AGAIN. It’s SIMPLY SUPERB… SPICY AND SOOOOO NICE. ?? Bye n take care Shaan.
ahhh… I’m honored! Thanks a lot Anupama, for taking time to try out the recipes and also for letting me know about it 🙂 The best chef in the world is you, because only you know how to cook to suite your taste buds 🙂 Are you in Kerala? I think nowadays it is difficult to get the Nadan Kozhi in Kerala. Once again thanks for the regular visit, feedback and bookmarking this site.
Thank you Shaan for your wonderful recipes. I am trying your recipes one by one. Its very tasty & easy. Thanku soooo much Shaan for superb recipes.
Rohini, Thanks a bunch for your feedback 🙂 See you here often.
Thanx for your great recipes..
In this recipe of kerala chicken curry, if we don’t use coconut milk, should we add more water..