Kerala Chicken Biryani
- Chicken pieces 1 kg
- Biryani rice ബിരിയാണി അരി - 4 Cups
- Hot water ചൂടുവെള്ളം - 7 Cups
- Ghee നെയ്യ് - 3 Table spoon
- Onion സവോള - 4 Nos (medium size)
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 inch piece
- Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി - 8 Cloves
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 4 Nos
- Tomato തക്കാളി - 2 Nos
- Yogurt / Curd തൈര് - ½ Cup
- Cashew nut കശുവണ്ടി - 15 Nos
- Raisins ഉണക്ക മുന്തിരി - 15 Nos
- Chilli powder മുളകുപൊടി - ½ Table spoon
- Coriander powder മല്ലിപ്പൊടി - 3 Table Spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി - 1 Pinch
- Garam Masala ഗരം മസാല - ½ Tea spoon
- Cinnamon കറുവാപ്പട്ട - 3 Piece
- Clove ഗ്രാമ്പു - 10 Nos
- Cardamom ഏലക്കാ - 5 Nos
- Pepper കുരുമുളക് - 10 Nos
- Coriander leaves മല്ലി ഇല - 4 Sprigs
- Mint / Pudina leaves പുതിന ഇല - 5 Leaves
- Pineapple chopped - ½ Cup
- Coconut Oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 3 Table Spoon
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – to taste
- Wash biryani rice, soak in water for 30 minutes and drain it well.
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chilli into a paste. Add curd and salt to this paste. Marinate chicken pieces with this paste for minimum 30 minutes.
- Now prepare the garnishes for chicken biryani. Heat 1 table spoon of ghee in a cooking vessel, fry cashew nuts, raisins and 1 finely sliced onion separately till golden brown and keep aside. (while frying onions, when it is almost done add 1 tea spoon of sugar so that the fried onions remain crisp throughout)
- Heat 3 table spoon coconut oil in a vessel, put remaining 3 finely sliced onions and salt to taste. Saute until golden brown. Reduce the flame, add chilli, coriander, turmeric and garam masala powders. Stir it for 2 minutes. Add sliced tomatoes and saute it for few minutes.
- To this add marinated chicken pieces and stir occasionally for 5 minutes. Add 1 cup of water and cook it covered till done (reduce the flame to medium when it starts boiling).
- Heat 1 table spoon of ghee in another cooking vessel, put cinnamon, cloves, cardamom & pepper and stir it. Put rice and stir for 2 minutes. Pour 7 cups of hot water and salt as needed. Cook it covered till the water is absorbed by the rice completely. (Reduce the flame when it starts boiling. Take care not to over cook the rice.)
- Spread evenly 1 table spoon of ghee in a vessel and layer it with rice and cooked chicken. Arrange 5 layers with rice and chicken. The bottom layer and the top layer should be rice. Garnish each layer with fried onion, cashews, raisins, pineapple, finely chopped coriander and mint (pudina) leaves. Pour 1 table spoon of Ghee on the top of Chicken Biryani. Cover the vessel.
- Heat a heavy tawa, put the biryani vessel on the tawa and heat it in a very low flame for 15 minutes. Turn off the flame and let it unopened for another 10 minutes. (Instead of cooking it on a heavy tawa, you can also cook it in a pre-heated oven.)
- Serve chicken biryani hot with salad, pappad, lime pickle and lemon tea.
- To avoid the raw odour of chicken, 1 table spoon of vinegar or lemon juice can be used, when cleaning the chicken.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.