- Chicken – 400 gm
- Egg – 1 No
- Corn flour – 3½ Table spoons
- Pepper powder – 1 Tea spoon
- Bell pepper – ½ of one (Capsicum)
- Green chilli – 2 Nos
- Ginger – 1 Inch piece
- Garlic – 8 Cloves
- Onion – 1 No
- Soya sauce – 1 Table spoon
- Red chilli sauce – 1 Table spoon
- Tomato ketchup – ½ Table spoon
- Cooking oil – as required
- Salt – To taste
- Spring onion – for garnishing (optional)
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces; clean it, drain off the water and keep aside.
- Make a paste with one egg, 3 tablespoons of corn flour, 1 teaspoon of pepper powder and a little salt. Marinate the chicken pieces with this paste for minimum 20 minutes.
- Chop ginger, garlic and green chillies. Cut the bell pepper (capsicum) and onion into 1 inch pieces. Separate the layers of the onion.
- Heat cooking oil in a pan. Deep fry the chicken pieces in medium heat until it turns golden brown. Keep it aside.
- Dissolve ½ tablespoon of corn flour in ¼ cup of water and keep aside. (This is used to make the thick consistency of the chilli chicken gravy)
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a pan. Add chopped ginger, garlic and green chillies into it and stir it for a few seconds.
- Add onion, bell pepper (capsicum) and salt to taste. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes in high heat.
- Add ½ a cup of water, 1 tablespoon of soya sauce, 1 tablespoon of red chilli sauce and ½ a tablespoon of tomato ketchup. Mix well.
- Add the fried chicken pieces and a pinch of pepper powder; mix well and bring to boil. Pour the corn flour dissolved water into it and stir for a minute. Taste for salt.
- Chilly chicken is ready. Remove from the flame and transfer to a serving dish. Garnish with chopped spring onions.
- This is a semi-gravy preparation. If you want more gravy, add extra water.
- Chilli chicken goes well with fried rice, chapati, parotta, roti, and nan. Remember to serve hot.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.