Tomato Ketchup (Tomato Sauce)
- Ripe tomato (പഴുത്ത തക്കാളി) – 1 kg
- Sugar (പഞ്ചസാര) – 5 Table spoons
- Cardamom (ഏലക്കാ) – 6 Nos
- Clove (ഗ്രാമ്പു) – 8 Nos
- Cinnamon (കറുവാപ്പട്ട) – 2 Inch piece
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) – 1 Tea spoon
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1½ Inch piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) – 6 Cloves
- Vinegar (വിനാഗിരി) – 2 Table spoons
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – 2 Tea spoons
- Chop tomatoes, ginger and garlic into small pieces.
- Saute the chopped ingredients in a non-stick pan along with chilli powder, cardamom, clove and cinnamon. Cover the pan and cook for about 25 minutes in medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and mash it well. Now, pour the mixture through a strainer and filter it by pressing with the back of a ladle or a spatula.
- Transfer the strained tomato sauce to the non-stick pan and add sugar, salt and vinegar. Cook it for another 20-25 minutes in medium heat by stirring continuously until it becomes sufficiently thick.
- Store the tomato ketchup in an air tight and dry container. Use only glass or plastic jars. Keep it refrigerated to last up to 3 to 4 weeks.
2) Do you want to preserve this tomato ketchup for a longer time? Just add half a teaspoon of sodium benzoate dissolved in a quarter cup of boiling water. Add this mixture to the ketchup (step 4). However, this is not recommended because it is not a healthy choice to add preservatives in tomato sauce.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.