Avial (Aviyal) Recipe
- Raw Plantain Raw banana / നേന്ത്രക്കായ് - 1 No
- Elephant foot yam ചേന - 200 gm
- Drumstick മുരിങ്ങക്കായ് - 1 No
- Ash gourd കുമ്പളങ്ങ - 150 gm
- Potato ഉരുളക്കിഴങ്ങ് - 1 No
- French Beans Green beans / ബീന്സ് - 4 Nos
- Snake gourd പടവലങ്ങ - 100 gm
- Carrot - 1 No small
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 4 Nos
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞൾപൊടി - 1 pinch
- Grated coconut തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത് - 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds ജീരകം - ½ Tea spoon
- Curd തൈര് - ½ Cup
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 2 Sprigs
- Shallot ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 5 Nos
- Coconut oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 1½ Table spoon
- Water വെള്ളം - 1½ Cup
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – to taste
- Wash the vegetables very well. Peel and cut it into 2 inch (length wise) pieces.
- Slice green chillies (length wise).
- Cook the vegetables in a covered vessel by adding green chillies, water, salt and turmeric powder on a low flame till it tender and dry (be careful not to overcook it and also take care to prevent it from burning).
- Crush the shallots and mix it with coconut oil.
- Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds by adding little water into a coarsely paste.
- Add the ground paste into the cooked vegetables along with curry leaves and combine it well. Heat it in a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour lightly beaten curd to this and mix it. Remove from the fire, add coconut oil - shallots mix and combine it.
- Serve Avial (Aviyal) as an accompaniment to rice.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.