Avial (Aviyal) Recipe
- Raw Plantain (Raw banana / നേന്ത്രക്കായ്) – 1 No
- Elephant foot yam (ചേന) – 200 gm
- Drumstick (മുരിങ്ങക്കായ്) – 1 No
- Ash gourd (കുമ്പളങ്ങ) – 150 gm
- Potato (ഉരുളക്കിഴങ്ങ്) – 1 No
- French Beans (Green beans / ബീന്സ്) – 4 Nos
- Snake gourd (പടവലങ്ങ) – 100 gm
- Carrot – 1 No (small)
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 4 Nos
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞൾപൊടി) – 1 pinch
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) – 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds (ജീരകം) – ½ Tea spoon
- Curd (തൈര്) – ½ Cup
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 2 Sprigs
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) – 5 Nos
- Coconut oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 1½ Table spoon
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 1½ Cup
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Wash the vegetables very well. Peel and cut it into 2 inch (length wise) pieces.
- Slice green chillies (length wise).
- Cook the vegetables in a covered vessel by adding green chillies, water, salt and turmeric powder on a low flame till it tender and dry (be careful not to overcook it and also take care to prevent it from burning).
- Crush the shallots and mix it with coconut oil.
- Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds by adding little water into a coarsely paste.
- Add the ground paste into the cooked vegetables along with curry leaves and combine it well. Heat it in a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour lightly beaten curd to this and mix it. Remove from the fire, add coconut oil – shallots mix and combine it.
- Serve Avial (Aviyal) as an accompaniment to rice.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.