Appam / Palappam
Appam / Palappam
- Fine roasted rice flour (നന്നായി പൊടിച്ച് വറുത്ത അരിപ്പൊടി) – 5 Cups
- Warm water (ചെറു ചൂടുവെള്ളം) – 1 Cup
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 3 Cups
- Coconut milk (തേങ്ങ പാല്) – 2 Cup
- Yeast (Active dry yeast) – ½ Tea spoon
- Sugar (പഞ്ചസാര) – 2 Table spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
- Dissolve yeast in 1 cup of warm water along with sugar and let sit for 30 minutes until it is frothy (make sure that the water is not too hot).
- Mix 3 table spoon rice flour with 3 cups of water and boil for 4 minutes by stirring it. Keep aside and let it cool.
- Add this to the remaining rice flour along with yeast dissolved water, coconut milk and salt. Mix it well using a mixer grinder and make a smooth batter. (The batter should be smooth in consistency like dosa batter)
- Keep it overnight (8 hours) in a warm place for fermentation.
- Heat an appam pan (round-bottomed cooking vessel) on a medium flame. Stir the batter and pour a ladle (thavi) full of batter to the pan. Lift the pan from the stove and spread the batter by rotating it so that a thin layer of the batter sticks to the sides of the appam pan.
- Cover the pan with its lid and cook it for 2 minutes on a medium flame (cook one side only).
- Repeat the previous steps to make more palappams.
- Serve it hot with any gravy type curry.
2) As the batter quantity increases during fermentation, use a vessel which can hold almost double the quantity.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.