- Basmati rice (ബസ്മതി അരി) – 4 Cups
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) – ⅓ Cup
- Onion (സവോള) – 1½ No
- Cashew nut (കശുവണ്ടി) – 20 Nos
- Raisins (ഉണക്ക മുന്തിരി) – 20 Nos
- Cinnamon (കറുവാപ്പട്ട) – 4 Piece (1 Inch each)
- Clove (ഗ്രാമ്പു) – 10 Nos
- Cardamom (ഏലക്കാ) – 5 Nos
- Hot water (ചൂടുവെള്ളം) – 7 Cups
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Wash rice, soak in water for 15 minutes and drain it well.
- Slice the onion finely.
- Heat 3 table spoons of ghee in a cooking vessel, fry cashew nuts, raisins and finely sliced onion separately till golden brown and keep aside (while frying onions, when it is almost done add 1 tea spoon of sugar so that the fried onions remain crisp throughout).
- Heat ¼ cup of ghee in the vessel, put cinnamon, cloves & cardamom and stir it for few seconds. Proceed to add rice and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add 7 cups of hot water and 1 tea spoon of salt. Cook it covered till done. (Give a stir in between.) Turn off the heat when the water is absorbed by the rice. Keep it closed for another 10 more minutes.
- Open the lid and garnish with fried onion, cashews and raisins.
- Serve ghee rice hot with gravy type curries, salad, pappad and pickle.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.