Egg Fried Rice (Restaurant Style)
Restaurant Style Egg Fried Rice
- Basmati Rice ബസ്മതി റൈസ് - 1 Cup (200gm)
- Water വെള്ളം - 4 Cups (Around 1 Litre)
- Salt ഉപ്പ് - 1½ +1 Teaspoon
- Refined Oil എണ്ണ - 1+1+3 Tablespoon
- Egg മുട്ട - 3 Nos
- Crushed Black Pepper കുരുമുളക് ചതച്ചത് - ¼ + ½ Teaspoon
- Finely Chopped Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി ചെറുതായി അരിഞ്ഞത് - 2 Teaspoons
- Spring Onion Bulb (white part) - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Carrots ക്യാരറ്റ് - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Green Beans ബീൻസ് - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Capsicum കാപ്സിക്കം - 2 Tablespoons (Chopped)
- Cabbage ക്യാബജ് - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Light Soy Sauce സോയ സോസ് - 2 Teaspoons
- Chilli-Garlic Sauce OR Chilli Sauce ചില്ലി ഗാർലിക് OR ചില്ലി സോസ് - 2 Teaspoons
- Sugar പഞ്ചസാര - ½ Teaspoon
- Spring Onion Greens (green part) - ¼ Cup (Chopped)
- Take 1 cup of washed and drained, Basmati rice and soak it in 2 cups of water. Let it soak for 30 minutes. After soaking, add it to 4 cups (1 litre) of boiling water and let it cook till 90% done. The flame should be kept high till rolling boil. When it starts to rolling boil, set the flame on medium. Add 1½ teaspoon of Salt and 1 tablespoon of Refined Oil into the water. Since it is soaked for 30 minutes, the cooking will be done as soon as it starts to rolling boil. Drain the water completely using a strainer. After 2 minutes, spread the rice on two plates to cool down and keep it in the refrigerator for minimum 2 hours. The rice prepared in the said way will be separate and won't clump at all.
- To prepare eggs, heat 1 tablespoon Refined Oil in a kadai and add 3 eggs to it. Into that, add a pinch of salt, ¼ teaspoon of pepper and scramble them and move it into another pan.
- Into the same kadai, add 3 tablespoon of Refined Oil and heat it. Add 2 teaspoon of finely chopped Garlic and sauté it slightly. Add ¼ cup of the bulb of Spring Onion (white portion), ¼ cup of chopped Carrots, ¼ cup of chopped Beans, 2 tablespoon of chopped Capsicum (Optional), ¼ cup of chopped Cabbage and sauté it for 1 minute. Unlike traditional cooking, you don't have to cook it for too long. A light stir fry is enough on high flame.
- After sautéing for 1 minute, add the scrambled eggs and mix them together. If you want Chicken Fried Rice, use cooked chicken using salt and pepper, and add it along with scrambled eggs. If you need Mixed Fried Rice, you may use cooked Beef or Prawns along with this.
- Turn down the flame and add 2 teaspoon of Light Soy Sauce, 2 teaspoon of Chilli-Garlic OR Chilly Sauce and ½ teaspoon of sugar and mix well. Now add the prepared Basmati Rice to it. Add in ½ teaspoon of crushed Black Pepper OR White Pepper and ¼ cup of chopped Spring Onion Greens. Spring Onion gives an amazing flavour to the Fried Rice, so try not to avoid it. Again turn up the flame to the maximum and mix well. Mixing enhances the taste of the Fried Rice. Take care not to break the rice while mixing.
- There are mainly 2 ways to avoid breaking of rice. One, is to toss the rice as they do in restaurants. Other, by mixing and folding using a wooden spatula. Chances of breakage are more while using a steel spoon. Adjust salt according to your preference. Here, we've added salt only while cooking Basmati Rice. We have not added salt after that because in some Soy Sauces there may be salt. You may sprinkle some salt after mixing rice and veggies. Mix and fold till all the rice are of same colour. If you notice a portion of rice in the original colour, it means the mixing is not done properly. Serve it hot.
Chinese dishes are always cooked on high flame and done very quickly. Due to that reason, always prepare the ingredients beforehand and keep them aside.
Make sure that the pan is not crowded; Kadai should be always half filled. In a crowded pan, you will not be able to mix properly.
Try not to cover and keep the Fried Rice. Covering increases the moisture content, thus loosing flavour.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.