- Split mung bean (ചെറുപയര്) – 1 Cup
- Crushed Jaggery (ശര്ക്കര പൊടിച്ചത്) – 1 Cup
- Thick coconut milk (തേങ്ങ പാല്) – ¾ Cup
- Cashew nut (കശുവണ്ടി) -10 Nos
- Thinly sliced Coconut (തേങ്ങാക്കൊത്ത്) – 1 Table spoon
- Cardamom powder (ഏലക്ക പൊടിച്ചത്) – ½ Tea spoon
- Dry ginger powder (ചുക്ക്) – ½ Tea spoon (optional)
- Cumin powder (ജീരകം പൊടിച്ചത്) – ½ Tea spoon (optional)
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) – 2 Table spoon
- Water (വെള്ളം) – 4+½ Cup
- Roast the split mung bean in a pan by stirring continuously in a medium heat, till golden color.
- Remove from the heat, wash it well and drain it.
- Next, cook the mung bean by adding 4 cups of water in a covered vessel till done (medium heat).
- In the meantime, crush the jaggery and make a syrup by boiling it with ½ cup water. Strain it for impurities.
- When the mung bean is cooked well, pour the jaggery syrup into it. Stir continuously till it thickens.
- Add dry ginger powder, cumin powder and cardamon powder. Stir it for 1 minute.
- Remove from the flame and add 1 cup of thick coconut milk. Combine well.
- Heat 2 table spoons of ghee in a pan. Fry coconut slices and cashew nuts one after another.
- Add this (along with ghee) to the prepared cherupayar payasam.
- Transfer to the serving dish.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.