Uzhunnu Vada (Medu Vada)
Uzhunnu Vada / Medu Vada
- Black gram / Urad dal ഉഴുന്ന് - 1 Cup
- Rice flour അരിപൊടി - 1 Table spoon
- Shallots ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 10 Nos
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 2 Nos
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 Inch Piece
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 1 Sprig
- Crushed black pepper കുരുമുളക് ചതച്ചത് - 1 Tea spoon (optional)
- Cooking oil എണ്ണ - to deep fry
- Salt ഉപ്പ് - to taste
- Wash black gram (uzhunnu), soak in water for 30 minutes and drain it.
- Grind it into a smooth paste by sprinkling a little water if required. The batter should be thick as possible.
- Chop ginger, green chillies, shallots and curry leaves finely.
- Add the chopped ingredients, crushed black pepper, rice flour and salt to the ground paste. Combine well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into a deep bottom pan and heat it. When the oil is hot reduce the flame to medium.
- Dip your hands in water (to prevent sticking batter on your hand) and take a small portion of the uzhunnu vada mix on you palm. Shape it to round and make a hole in the center using your finger. Slip it slowly into the hot oil and deep fry by turning both sides till golden brown color.
- Repeat the previous step to make more uzhunnu vada.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.