Uzhunnu Vada (Medu Vada)
Uzhunnu Vada / Medu Vada
- Black gram / Urad dal ഉഴുന്ന് - 1 Cup
- Rice flour അരിപൊടി - 1 Table spoon
- Shallots ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 10 Nos
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് - 2 Nos
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 Inch Piece
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 1 Sprig
- Crushed black pepper കുരുമുളക് ചതച്ചത് - 1 Tea spoon (optional)
- Cooking oil എണ്ണ - to deep fry
- Salt ഉപ്പ് - to taste
- Wash black gram (uzhunnu), soak in water for 30 minutes and drain it.
- Grind it into a smooth paste by sprinkling a little water if required. The batter should be thick as possible.
- Chop ginger, green chillies, shallots and curry leaves finely.
- Add the chopped ingredients, crushed black pepper, rice flour and salt to the ground paste. Combine well and keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into a deep bottom pan and heat it. When the oil is hot reduce the flame to medium.
- Dip your hands in water (to prevent sticking batter on your hand) and take a small portion of the uzhunnu vada mix on you palm. Shape it to round and make a hole in the center using your finger. Slip it slowly into the hot oil and deep fry by turning both sides till golden brown color.
- Repeat the previous step to make more uzhunnu vada.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
45 comments on “Uzhunnu Vada (Medu Vada)”
You are welcome Rita. Thanks for the feedback.
Thankyou……. I had asked it for you….. I will definitely try… thank-you very much…
You are welcome Rejani, Yes, I saw your comment and included the uzhunnu vada recipe. Hope you will enjoy it.
Hi Shaan, good day to you. Your recipes are good. uzhunnu vada was really good. Please add neyyappam and unniyappam recipe also.
Thanks a lot Sonia. I will try to include neyyappam and unniyappam soon.
Really gud! thanks a lot that u shared rice flour secret for crispy vadas!
Ganga, thanks a lot for the feedback.
Dear Shaan, can you please share chutney recipe too?
Vini, I will try to include it soon.
Thanks for the recipe. I tried it… was really good… yummy… The method you have given was simple. Expect more recipes from you.
Gisela, Good to hear that the uzhunnu vada recipe turned out well for you. Thanks for sharing your feedback.
Dear Shaan, Thanks a lot, my sister like uzhunnuvada very much. So I try it today it self. Can u pls include the recipe of halva.
Rahna, I will try to include the halva recipe soon. Hope you will share your feedback on uzhunnu vada. Happy cooking 🙂
I love uzhunnu vada. Thank you Shaan for revealing the secret of adding rice. Turns out crispy.
Welcome Rajani 🙂 Glad to know that the uzhunnu vada recipe worked out well for you. Hope to see you here often.
Thanks Shaan 🙂
Welcome Sreela 🙂
Hi Shaan, Thanks I love Vada. Wherever I go I eat vada only. Before many time I make vada its make very hard. Now I you explain the secrete of adding rice to make crispy.
Beena, Nice to know that you are a fan of Vada. Hope you will try this recipe at home. Have fun in the kitchen 🙂
I love uzhunnu vada and wanted to make it for breakfast. Thank u for sharing the secret of making crispy vada – rice flour! 🙂
Thank you very much Vandana 🙂
Sir can u add some Lebanese food recipe in Malayalam.
Yusaf, Please check the website http://www.pachakamonline.com for the Malayalam Recipes. I will try to include the Lebanese recipes. Thanks.
I love uzhunnuvada and I wanted to make for 4 mani palahaaram.
Ashi, hope it will come out well for you. Thanks for the feedback 🙂
Thanks Shaan chetta for a wonderful and delicious uzhunnuvada, its really yummy. One fine evening I had a wish to eat uzhunnu vada, suddenly searched in net and I found this, thank you for making ma evening beautiful. Keep the good work and share more recipes with us, will be waiting for that.
Arya, Thanks a lot for such a wonderful feedback 🙂 Glad to know that you enjoyed this recipe. I will be posting more recipes. See you here often 🙂
Your recipes are Good.
Thanks Anju 🙂
Thanks Mathew 🙂
Hai Shaan chetta.. am going to try this now.. thanks for ur recipe…
Thanks Kavya. Hope you will share the feedback.
Hi Shaan, Is there any problem if I put uzunnu in the morining and grind in evening?
Aathira, As the batter become watery it is not recommended.
Hello, I like your recipe. It is too good. Super.
Thanks Divya Laxmi 🙂
Hi chetta, thank you so much for your uzhunnu vada recipe. I made this yesterday it was very tasty and came out very well, my 4 year son and 1 year doughter enjoyed too much.
Sheela, Glad to know that you done it well and your kids enjoyed it. Hope you will try other recipes too.
ചേട്ട കിടിലൻ. ഈ ലേഖനം നന്നായി. Very Nice. Keep up the good work. Hoping to see more recipes.
Thanks a lot Aron. I will try to include more recipes.
Hi Shaan, Simple and easy recipes. Came out well :):) tasty… Please add some more snacks recipes.
Diji, Thanks for trying this uzhunnu vada recipe. Glad to know that you done it well. I will try to add more snacks. Many thanks.
Hi Shaan… just a small doubt… in the video u mentioned 2 cups of uzhunnu whereas in the recipe it’s written 1 cup… which one should we follow ?
yummmmmyyy… I love meduvada… thx for sharing…