Parippu Vada (Dal vada)
Parippu vada / Dal vada / Lentil fritters
- Chana dal or Toor dal കടല / തുവര പരിപ്പ് - 1 Cup
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 inch piece
- Dry red chillies വറ്റല് മുളക് - 3 Nos
- Shallot ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 12 Nos
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 1 Sprig
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – to taste
- Cooking oil എണ്ണ - for deep frying (1 cup)
- Soak dal in water for 2 hours and drain it (make sure that it is drained well).
- Chop ginger, dry red chillies, shallots and curry leaves finely.
- Grind dal to a coarse paste without adding water. Do make sure NOT grind it to a smooth paste.
- Add chopped ingredients and salt to the grounded dal and mix it well.
- Wet your hands and make 8 equal size balls with the mixture. Make the balls as a round shape by pressing it with your palm. (If it is too sticky try dipping your hand in water while making the balls)
- Pour enough oil into a deep bottom pan and heat it. When the oil is hot reduce the flame to medium and deep fry the vadas by turning both sides till golden brown color.
- Serve parippu vada with “puvan pazham” 🙂 and a cup of tea.
- Make sure that the oil is hot enough while frying the parippu vada. Otherwise it will break and spread on the oil.
- Mix both chana dal and toor dal can also be used.
- Shallots and dry red chillies can be replaced by onion and green chillies.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.