Kerala Fish Curry – with Coconut
Kerala Fish Curry - with Coconut
- Fish any - ½ kg
- Chilli powder മുളകുപൊടി - 1 Table spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി - 1 Pinch
- Tamarind പുളി - Lemon size
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 Inch piece
- Shallot ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 3 Nos
- Tomato തക്കാളി - 1 No (optional)
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 1 Sprig
- Grated coconut തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത് - 1½ Cup
- Water വെള്ളം - 3½ Cup
- Coconut Oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 1 Table Spoon
- Salt ഉപ്പ് - To taste
- Clean the fish and keep aside.
- Dissolve tamarind in 3 cup of water. Remove the seeds and any pieces that have not dissolved with the water.
- Slice tomato (optional) and chop ginger.
- Grind grated coconut and shallots well into a fine paste by adding ½ cup of water.
- Cook fish pieces (about 10 - 15 minutes) in a covered vessel along with tamarind dissolved water, chilli powder, turmeric powder, tomato (optional), ginger, curry leaves and salt. (When it starts boiling, turn the flame to low).
- When it is done, add the ground paste and combine it. Taste for salt and wait till it boils.
- Remove from the flame and drizzle 1 table spoon coconut oil over the prepared fish curry.
- Let the curry remains in the cooking pan for minimum 30 minutes, allowing all the spices to steep into the fish.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.