Kerala Fish Curry – with Coconut
Kerala Fish Curry - with Coconut
- Fish any - ½ kg
- Chilli powder മുളകുപൊടി - 1 Table spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി - 1 Pinch
- Tamarind പുളി - Lemon size
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 Inch piece
- Shallot ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി - 3 Nos
- Tomato തക്കാളി - 1 No (optional)
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 1 Sprig
- Grated coconut തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത് - 1½ Cup
- Water വെള്ളം - 3½ Cup
- Coconut Oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 1 Table Spoon
- Salt ഉപ്പ് - To taste
- Clean the fish and keep aside.
- Dissolve tamarind in 3 cup of water. Remove the seeds and any pieces that have not dissolved with the water.
- Slice tomato (optional) and chop ginger.
- Grind grated coconut and shallots well into a fine paste by adding ½ cup of water.
- Cook fish pieces (about 10 - 15 minutes) in a covered vessel along with tamarind dissolved water, chilli powder, turmeric powder, tomato (optional), ginger, curry leaves and salt. (When it starts boiling, turn the flame to low).
- When it is done, add the ground paste and combine it. Taste for salt and wait till it boils.
- Remove from the flame and drizzle 1 table spoon coconut oil over the prepared fish curry.
- Let the curry remains in the cooking pan for minimum 30 minutes, allowing all the spices to steep into the fish.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
16 comments on “Kerala Fish Curry – with Coconut”
Hi Ann, It is pleasure to know that the recipes worked out well for you. I will definitely do a prawns recipe when the time permits. Thank you very much for the feedback.
Hi Shaan, just curious my mom used to add coriander powder to fish curry, so we don’t need that ingredient. I haven’t tried, but will try today.
Hi Shobana, Thanks for the comment. In traditional Kerala fish curries, we usually won’t use coriander powder. But while preparing Fish Masala kind of dishes we make use of it. Hope it comes out well for you.
Hi Shaan, Let me know the type of fish you use.
Hi Vasantha, I used Seer fish, but you can use any fish of your choice to prepare this curry.
Thank you for the recipe.. I am a husband and on holidays so tried this at home and everyone loved it. Will try others in your site as well.. once gain thanks and you rock!
You are welcome Shamil, Thanks for trying this recipe. It is so nice of you cooked for your family. I am eagerly waiting for your feedback on other recipes 🙂
I have tried your recipe and it was very tasty. Good job. Thank u
Hi Merlin, Thanks for trying this fish curry recipe and also for leaving your feedback here. Have fun in the kitchen 🙂
Hi Shaan, Thank you for the recipe. It was very tasty and my husband enjoyed the it.
Hi Vilasini, Thanks for finding time to share your feedback. Happy to know that you and your husband enjoyed it.
Awesome!!!! recipe… tried this recipe…. came out superb.
Praveen, Thank you very much for trying fish curry recipe and also for the feedback. Great to know that it worked out well for you. Hope you will try other recipes too. Have fun in the kitchen 🙂
Hello this is the first i have gone through your site and found very helpful as your dishes are very simple and very tasty. Please I would like to have Kerala style dry chicken recipes.
Prasanna, Thanks a lot for your words of encouragement. I will try to include more dry chicken recipes when time permits. Thanks for the feedback.
pls include the recipe of prawns curry also..
i have tried ur recipes and its very good….