Squid Roast (Koonthal Roast)
Squid Roast (Koonthal Roast / Kanava Roast)
- Squid കൂന്തല് / കണവ Cleaned – ½ kg
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി – 2 Inch piece
- Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി – 10 Cloves
- Green chilli പച്ചമുളക് – 2 Nos
- Onion സവോള – 2 Nos
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില – 1 Sprig
- Lemon Juice നാരങ്ങനീര് – ½ Table spoon
- Thinly sliced Coconut തേങ്ങാക്കൊത്ത് – ¼ Cup (Optional)
- Coriander powder മല്ലിപ്പൊടി – 1 Table Spoon
- Chilli powder മുളകുപൊടി – ¾ Table spoon
- Garam Masala ഗരം മസാല – 1 Tea spoon
- Pepper powder കുരുമുളകുപൊടി – ½ Tea Spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി – 1 Pinch
- Mustard seeds കടുക് – 1 Tea Spoon
- Cooking oil എണ്ണ – 3 Table spoons
- Water വെള്ളം – ¾ Cup
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – To taste
- Wash and clean the Squid (Koonthal / Kanava) well. Cut it into small pieces and keep aside.
- Chop onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies.
- Heat 3 table spoon of cooking oil in a pan and put mustard seeds. When they begin to sputter, reduce the flame to medium. Add thinly sliced coconut pieces and fry them for 2 minutes (optional).
- Add chopped garlic, ginger and green chillies. Stir for a few seconds and then add chopped onion. Sauté the mixture by adding a little salt.
- When the ingredients turn golden brown, reduce the flame to low. Add coriander powder (1 table spoon), chilli powder (¾ table spoon), turmeric powder (1 pinch) and garam masala (1 tea spoon). Stir for a minute.
- Now, add ¾ cup of water, lemon juice and salt to taste. Turn the heat to high and mix well. Now, add the Squid (Koonthal / Kanava) pieces. When it starts boiling, turn the heat to low and cook it covered till done (about 15 to 20 minutes). Don’t forget to give a stir in between.
- When it is done, open the lid and heat until the dish is almost dry (if there is excess water). Stir occasionally. Add ½ tea spoon of black pepper powder and mix well. Taste the dish for salt.
- Koonthal roast (Squid roast) is ready for serving. Transfer the Kanava roast to the serving dish. Garnish it with coriander leaves and onion slices (if required).
2) Garam masala can be replaced by meat masala or chicken masala.
3) Squid takes a little longer time to cook. So you can also pressure cook it by adding half the quantity of above mentioned powdered ingredients, ¼ cup of water and salt. Then follow the same steps mentioned above. (In step 5; add only the remaining portion of the powdered ingredients. In step 6, add the cooked squid along with the stock (water in which it is cooked). Cook the Squid roast for 5 minutes without adding extra water.)
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
20 comments on “Squid Roast (Koonthal Roast)”
Malathi, Thanks a lot for your good words encouragement. It is so nice of you to cook this squid roast for your hubby and daughters. Happy cooking 🙂
Hi, As per my opinion don’t cook squid in pressure cooker because when its over cooked its become rubber. Squid have water content. We can cook squid adding half of powdered masala and without adding water and once its done we can add with with above mentioned masala.
Dear Aathira, Thank you so much for the feedback. While doing this squid roast recipe I was also bit confused about the points you mentioned. If the squid is small or average in size, no need to pressure cook it. But if it is large in size and you prepare it in a pan, it may become rubbery. Regarding adding water, it primarily depend on your expertise. You can also prepare koonthal roast without adding water but it depends on the pan you used, the amount of heat, size the of the squid pieces etc. For a safer side add a little water and make it dry as I mentioned in step 7. Once again thank you very much for the regular visit. Hope to see you here often.
Dear Shaan, I have been following your recipes and let me tell you they are simply awesome. Thank you so much AND God bless your talent to make many more recipes.
Ashly, Thank you very much for your kind words of encouragement, prayers and wishes.
Hi, really impressed with fact that u do cooking passionately, turned out to be one of the best dishes I have made, thanks for such a simple recipe.
Thank you very much Reena. Hope you will try more dishes. Have fun in the kitchen 🙂
Very good preparation. Thank you very much.
Thank you very much Lalu 🙂
Simply superb… Thank you very much…
Thanks a lot Divya 🙂
Thank you, I used to prepare it another way. Today I tried this recipe. Nice. But you didn’t mention when to add lime juice.
Tessy, Thanks for trying this squid roast recipe. I have included the lemon juice in the procedure. Thanks.
Your Recipe Impressed me a lot. It makes very simple to prepare. Thanks.
Thanks a lot Eldho 🙂
What to say super up…. 🙂
Thanks Simiraj 🙂
Tried out your Squid roast recipe and it came out well. I actually microwaved the squid for 5 minutes by adding very little water.
Divya, Thanks for trying this recipe and also for the tip. Glad to know that you done it well.
Your squid roast looks marvelous. Will to cook for hubby and daughters. Thanks for updating wonderful recipes. Hoping to see for more Kerala items. Regards.