Kerala Fish Fry
Kerala Fish Fry
- Fish മീൻ - ½ kg (Any fish)
- Ginger ഇഞ്ചി - 1 Inch piece
- Garlic വെളുത്തുള്ളി - 8 Cloves
- Black Pepper കുരുമുളക് - 1 Tea Spoon
- Chilli powder മുളകുപൊടി - 1½ Table Spoon
- Turmeric powder മഞ്ഞൾപൊടി - 1 pinch
- Curry leaves കറിവേപ്പില - 1 Sprig
- Mustard seeds കടുക് - ½ Tea Spoon
- Lemon juice നാരങ്ങാ നീര് - ½ Table Spoon
- Coconut Oil വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ - 3 Table Spoon
- Salt ഉപ്പ് – to taste
- Whole steaks or cut the fish into equal size pieces. Clean and drain it well.
- Grind ginger, garlic, pepper, chilli powder, turmeric powder, mustard seeds, curry leaves, lemon juice and salt into a paste.
- Marinate fish pieces with the ground paste and keep it aside for at-least 30 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a frying pan and fry marinated fish pieces by turning both sides on a medium flame.
- Kerala fish fry is ready for serving. Serve it hot with onion rings and lemon wedges.
2) If the fish pieces are large, make shallow cut marks on it with a sharp knife, so that the marinade is absorbed easily.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.
10 comments on “Kerala Fish Fry”
You are welcome Unni. Happy to know that you are learning cooking though my recipes. In fish fry we are grinding mustard seeds along with the other ingredients. (I am sorry, I forgot to mention it in the step 2 and now it is included). Regarding the use of mustard seeds, most of the Kerala side dishes uses mustard seeds. They add a distinct taste to dish. The dishes which we won’t use mustard seeds are avial, olan and thorans with grated coconut etc. Thank you very much for the feedback and also hope to see you here often.
It was very tasty and my husband loved a lot. Thank you.
You are welcome Merlin. Great to know that this recipe came out well for you and your husband loved it very much. Hope to see you here often.
Recipes are very good.
Thanks Divya 🙂
Dear brother, there is one mistake in the ingredients. chilli powder[manjalpodi]. Please check it. Thank you for your good recipes.
Dear Sheena, Sorry for the mistake. It is rectified. Thank you very much.
I love your site. Thank you. I want to make this as shown in the photo using a whole fish. I would score the fish and marinate as you suggest. How would you cook it? Would you fry on one side and finish it in the oven? Or?
Vicki, Thanks for the feedback. No need of oven for this preparation. Just shallow fry the marinated fish by turning both sides.
In the ingredients you have mentioned about mustard seeds. However, please let me know when and where this mustard seeds to be used. I am leaning through your recipes. I am very raw hand in cooking. Thanks a lot for your recipes.