- Basmati Rice – 2 Cups
- Lemon Juice (നാരങ്ങനീര്) – 3 Table spoons OR to taste
- Dry Red Chillies (വറ്റല്മുളക്) – 2 Nos
- Mustard Seeds (കടുക്) – 1 Tea spoon
- Split Bengal Gram / Chana dal (കടലപ്പരിപ്പ്) – ¾ Table spoon
- Split Black Lentils / Urad dal (ഉഴുന്ന്) – ½ Table spoon
- Peanuts (നിലക്കടല) – 2 Table spoons
- Green Chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) – 2 Nos
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) – 1 Inch piece
- Curry Leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Turmeric Powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) – ½ Tea spoon
- Asafoetida Powder (കായം പൊടി) – 1 Pinch (optional)
- Cooking oil (എണ്ണ) – 2½ Table spoons
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Wash the rice. Cook rice in a vessel by adding enough water (8 cups) and 1 tea spoon of salt. When it is done, drain the excess water and keep aside (let it cool). Ensure that the grains are separate and not mushy so as to get aromatic and delicious lemon rice.
- Fine chop the ginger. Slit green chillies lengthwise.
- Heat 2½ table spoons of cooking oil in a pan. When the oil is hot, reduce the heat to low and add broken dry red chillies and mustard seeds. When the mustard seeds splutter, add split bengal gram (chana dal) and peanuts. Stir it for 1 minute and add split black lentils (urad dal). Keep stirring one more minute.
- Now add green chillies, curry leaves and finely chopped ginger. Sauté until it is done. (about 2 minutes)
- Add ½ tea spoon of turmeric powder and 1 pinch of asafoetida powder. Stir well for few seconds.
- Add cooked rice, then lemon juice and salt to taste. Mix well and turn off the heat. Taste for salt. Transfer the lemon rice to the serving dish.
2) The amount of lemon juice to be added depends on how tangy the lemon is as well as how tangy you would like the lemon rice to be.
Author: Shaan Geo
According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me the passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.